Monday, December 31, 2007

11/07

I had to get a port implanted under my skin on the left side of my chest to access an artery because my veins are scarred and traumatized by all the previous chemos and blood draws. Things were arranged very quickly and either I did not hear the directions or things were not explained properly and in detail because I ended up having to get this thing surgically implanted WITHOUT sedation. Only local numbing was used. I was completely anxious so they made a 'tent' of sterile dressings for me. I could FEEL the pressure and needles going into me. The only thing that got me through this forty-five minute procedure was humming/moaning/whimpering a medley of AFI songs. I am dead serious. It had to sound like something dying, but the nurse told me that she enjoyed my 'medley' and that I entertained her. In my terror, I could only really remember STS and DU songs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home